27 December 2009

Stones in my crochet


I have a very good friend. Her little family of two is soon to become a family of three. She's the kindest, warmest girl, and she'll be the sweetest mother. She's a creative woman, fond of pretty things. So I made her these for Christmas.

I discovered the crocheted stones only a few weeks ago, and I knew at once I had to make some. Some would say this is a crazy thing to make, and it sure did hurt making them (stones are heavier than the usual crochet cloth..), but I love the result, so it was all worth it. There is no pattern for these (as far as I know), but the inspiration comes from this woman. She creates the most wonderful things, crazy things. I discovered her crocheted stones via this creative woman. Check out these blogs, there is beauty to be found.

Edited to add: The pattern can be found in Crochet Today if anyone else wants to make crocheted stones. Thank you, Margaret, for the inspiration, the pattern and for letting us know where to find it!

9 comments:

HANNE said...

Fuldstændig fantastiske og vanvittige sten :O)
Godt nytår til dig og dine, søde Tora

Dorte said...

De sten er da bare lækre !

cosymakes.com said...

wow! i kind of love the crocheted stones. thanks for the link.

Margie Oomen said...

the stones you created are just beautiful. I agree they are hard work but I love ever single stone I complete. The trick for me is to rest my hand with knitting or embroidery in between stone making and lots of very strong hand cream to moisturize.
I have patterns in crochet today magazine in their eco fall issue.

Tora said...

Thank you all, and thank you, Margie, for creating so beautiful things! I'm so glad there is a pattern for these, as I'd really like to see more crocheted stones around. I too find resting in between the stones necessary. Actually, I found I couldn't make more than one a day. No need for tendinitis in any knitter's arms..

charity said...

They look very sweet..are they just for decorative purposes or are they paper weights or something?

Tora said...

Well, I made them for decorative purposes only, but I'm sure a creative soul could find some use for it it some way..

Julianna said...

Hi! I make them by the handfuls, too, and yours are just lovely! I started a Found Art project with them if you're interested in having a look... The idea is to make them on the beach, and then leave them there for some unsuspecting beach-comber to find. I sharpie my blog address on the back, in the hopes that finders will sign the guestbook... Have only done it twice, so far, but already have a few comments! www.curiouspebble.com. Thanks for the inspiration!

Tora said...

Julianna, that is an awesome idea, I love your project! I can imagine myself crocheting on the beach, then leaving the stone when heading home.