07 September 2008

Treasure hunting

Golden chanterelleYesterday evening was party time, this morning we went mushroom hunting, hence the polished nails. Most mushrooms choose to live under rotten wood and close to the soil, which means those nails didn't stay clean very long.

We found lots of delicious Golden chanterelles (kantarell in Norwegian), the sibling Funnel chanterelles (traktkantarell) and Hedgehog mushrooms (piggsopp). It felt like finding a treasure each time the edible ones appeared in front of us.

Fly AmanitaThe beautiful, but poisonous Fly Amanita (rød fluesopp) always fascinates me, it's such a classic beauty. We never bring it home, though. I guess its hallucinogenic properties don't really attract me that much after all. Imagine if it was edible, what a beutiful meal that would be!

A slice of home made bread with fried chanterelle, on the other hand, isn't the worst company imaginable for a Sunday afternoon. Or what about a mushroom soup? My all time favorite, though, is fried trout, cooked potatoes and fried funnel chanterelles with sour cream, which my dad used to make.

Funnel chanterelleGolden chanterelle on bread

6 comments:

Ulli said...

oh, that reminded me of growing up in austria. my opa(grandpa) and mom are big time mushroom hunters, and we kids loved going in the woods.
in german we call the chanterelles 'eier schwammerl" - egg mushroom...

Strikkelise said...

I love mushroom picking. Haven't done it much these last few years, though. But I did get some chanterelles from the supermarket :)

karen - from me to you said...

I used to hunt for mushrooms with my Dad when I was a kid, in the french woods.

I loved eating them in an omelet at the end of the day ;-)

Jen said...

Oh my goodness, that sounds tasty. There's nothing like eating something that reminds you so much of home...

Evi said...

I haven't been mushroom picking for almost ten years, but I still remember the treks to the woods in Eastern Europe. Now I have to resort to pleading with my relatives who still live there to pick/dry, and ship them to me, while hoping to not have them confiscated. I know, I may be a terrible citizen for some mushroom disease I iport here, but how can you resist! I am brimming with envy at your treasure hunt.

Tora said...

I'm happy to realize I'm not the only one to love mushrooms!

The funnel chanterelles are still drying in the oven. I guess they'll have to stay there at least until the evening to get as crispy as they need to be.